Tuesday 9 October 2012

Hiraeth et al!

Last night I had a terrible bout of self doubt and self deprecation. I was convinced I was worthless, pointless, directionless and meaningless. It upset me, and someone I was talking to at the time who means a great deal to me and my family and friends. This us a mini public apology for upsetting you like that, and I'm sorry I do that to us both sometimes. I can't really help it, but it is nice to have people who stand by me and help me even when I'm being that way... x Anyway, on with the blog! I just read an article by a lady named Pamela Petro ( ) and it speaks about "Hiraeth". Hiraeth is a Welsh word I use sometimes, which means...well, nobody's ever translated it into English (we're rather proud of that), but it's sort of home-sickness, longing, and a desire for the good old days that never were, all rolled into one great big lump of angst and close-harmony singing. Or at least beer. She is a lady who has travelled the world in Welsh, despite being a "Dysgwraig" or learner, being from the USA by birth (we forgive and welcome you!). I say by birth, because as far as I'm concerned this lady's as Welsh as I am! She loves my country, its people, and she's learning the language. She has, in this article http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2012/09/18/dreaming-in-welsh/#.UFjAl_eZHM4.facebook Embodied what it feels like to be Welsh. Ha! And she from the US! Wonderful! So Welsh it hurts! It has taken someone from thousands of miles away to tell us how we feel so beautifully! Poetry! :D Anyway, I have followed her blog, and I suggest you do the same, if only to read through her previous posts. Today I enroll for my MA classes. It will be fun. I will enjoy it. I will work out the dilemma of clashing classes with re-enactment battles later. Now, I bacon! Jx

No comments:

Post a Comment